Friday, December 16, 2005

the Leaders Debate

I hadn't planned on watching the Leaders Debate this evening... figured I'd wait and read about it on Monday as opposed to ruining my weekend. However, curiosity got the better of me. After watching it I'm really no further ahead.

I typically vote for the candidate in my riding that I feel has the best platform for my neighbourhood and will support my interest. Thus far it has been a liberal. And, I will support him once again – even though I am thinking Ottawa needs a change. However, I still don’t see a viable alternative.

Stephen Harper, the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, last night said in the French debate that he would not use the notwithstanding clause to over turn the same sex marriage issue. He said he will allow a free vote in the House of Commons. Apparently that is not even an option so I don’t think he is being honest with us (not that this is surprising).

When I read their website under Key Issues they state:

Mainstream Canadians – hardworking people who pay their taxes and play by the rules – need a new government that will put their interests ahead of self interest.

I guess I don’t understand this. Are they saying gay people are not Mainstream Canadians? Do gay people not pay taxes and play by the rules? Do gay interests not count? The world as we know it has not fallen apart because gay people are now getting married. Gay people now feel like equal citizens – I’ll never understand why Stephen Harper and his party feel the need to try to take this away.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home