Monday, January 16, 2006

The do's and don'ts of voice mail

I've always had a little bit of a pet peeve with the way some people leave vm's at the office. My biggest pet peeve is when they race thru their phone number as if there is a fire in the building and they have to evacuate. This leaves me to listen to the message over again and sometimes listen a 3rd time. To be honest if this is not a person I really have to talk to - i won't bother. They can call me back. Then there are the people that don't leave a number at all. If it's not a personal message - leave a number, i'm not a rolodex. Then there are the people that compose their thoughts while they're leaving the message - please, no hmm'ing & haa'ing on my vm. My record message is very clear - leave your name your number and a BRIEF message. Should be under one minute - 15 seconds is preferable.

So to summarize:

Do: Leave a phone number.
Don't: Assume I know it.

Do: Leave a phone number slowly - taking a pause between area code and first 3 digits. Another pause before leaving the last 4 digits.
Don't: Make a race out of leaving your phone number. There are no prizes awarded for the fastest time here.

Do: Leave a brief reason for the call. For example: I'm looking for the report on XYZ. Or, I need some quick changes on ABC (I'll send an email with the details)
Don't: Act confused that you got my vm. This is 2006 after all.

Do: Allow me sufficient time to return the call - if a return call is necessary.
Don't: Call me repeatedly - i'm not here to serve you. Well, if you're my boss or another executive at the company - I won't complain (except here on my blog).

Do: Speak clearly and concisely and talk into the mouth piece.
Don't: Put me on hold while you're leaving the message.

Do: Leave a message.
Don't: Just keep calling until I pick up - often times I screen my calls.

That is it for the moment - I'm sure there is more I can add, but, I'm going to go make dinner instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home