Thursday, January 05, 2006

A short story on Jim

Jim is a homeless guy that sets up shop on the corner just north of where I live. I walk by him often on my way to work and on my way home from work. I generally give him a couple of dollars each time I pass. Some times his girlfriend is with him - sometimes she is there instead of him. Over the years our casual greeting has grown into short chats. He excitedly tells me good things that is happening in his life. A couple of months ago him and his g/f finally were given a subsidized apartment in the north end of the city. And, even more exciting he got a job as a dishwasher at a local restaurant. The job was only one day a week, but, that could turn into longer term employment. He stopped drugs and life was looking good for him.

Tonight I saw him for the first time in weeks on the ole street corner. As I stopped and gave him change, he reported bad news for the first time. A rumour was going around that his g/f wasn't actually living with him. They only receive their welfare cheques if they have a valid address. Two days after Christmas the welfare staff showed up at his door to confirm whether the g/f was living there or not. She was there but they determined she isn't living there (i'm not sure how they arrived at this decision). So, in the spirit of Christmas they held back her cheque. So now Jim has to make rent all on his own - hence why he is back on the street corner. I have to say he is still very optimistic tho and promised me he is still off of drugs. His view is "besides the additional rent I only need money for a couple of beers & food". I like that attitude.

I think the city should only hire people that used to be homeless to work in the welfare office. They might not be so quick to judge who is deserving and who is not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home