Monday, March 06, 2006

Over-zealous salespeople - part II

This is a follow-up to my over-zealous salespeople posting.

I now realize that the degree of frustration with them depends on what type of establishment you are in. In my previous posting I mentioned clothing stores; hardware stores & bookstores. Well, yesterday I went looking for a specialty item. This item can only be found in an adult type store. After all, a woman's best friend can at times be a toy. Yesterday I went walking into this adult store at approximately 12:30pm. The moment I walked in and heard "hi, how are you today" yelled at me from across the room - I knew I was in trouble. I knew in that split second that I was a) the only customer in the store, and b) the sales guy was bored and happy to see someone.

Now, it's not as if this shop is in some seedy part of town. It's on Yonge St. right across from the Eaton Centre. High foot traffic. I don't go there often but, anytime I have been there in the past it's been nicely populated. Where everyone was on a Sunday afternoon at 12:30, I have no idea. Perhaps they don't visit sex shops on Sundays - or maybe they're at home having hmmmm.

So, I continued in the store and started looking around. "Can I help you find anything", I hear. I think my groan was audible. I didn't know if this particular store would carry what I was looking for - but, I certainly had no intention of discussing it with him. Left on my own I would have found it, if they carried it. I can't believe the guy attempted to engage me in conversation as it was obvious I was looking for something. I'm no prude, but, when in a shop like this LEAVE ME ALONE!. I quickly saw that the shop didn't have what I was looking for and bolted.

I then wandered down Queen St. Came across a hemp & cannabis store. I heard about a cafe in Kensington Market selling marijuana, so I wondered if this place did as well. It was fairly busy in there. Under a display case they had a tonne of bongs (i think that is the proper term for them) and pipes. I don't care for drugs - don't do them. However, I loved the look of all these pipes and bongs - the colours, the sizes - was very intriguing. I thought for a moment that it would be nice to start a collection of these - but, as the thought entered by mind I heard "may I help you find anything in particular" - grrrrrrrr, lady, I don't even know what you sell in here. Chances are the pipes I was looking at aren't even called pipes. I bolted again.

Wandered around for a bit and came home without my purchase. I have to do a search on-line for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home