Monday, February 06, 2006

Women and their bodies

When I was at the gym today, specifically the locker room after my workout, I couldn't help but notice that some women are self-conscious of their bodies and some aren't. And of course some are in between. The ones that aren't flaunt themselves around the room as if to say "look at me look at me, don't I have a body to die for" (and generally they don't - but, they obviously have high self esteem). Some are so self conscious about their bodies that they actually go to the privacy of a stall in the ladies room to change. The norm seems to be like myself, change at the locker but quickly cover oneself.

At my gym there are two levels to the ladies dressing room. The top floor has a ladies gym and lockers. The showers are on the lower floor. I was surprised today to see a woman walk down the stairs from the upper level to go to the showers - she was completed nude. Now to get there she would have had to walk by the opening where the ladies gym is. Yes, that gym area is for ladies only - but, it's not exactly cordoned off to men. Meaning a man could accidentally wander into that area. If staff is around they'd be sure to send him away. However, this woman obviously had no worries. Or perhaps that was the point - she wished to be seen.

Now, I don't wish to give the impression that I'm a pervert who sits there looking at the women as they change - I don't. I happen to prefer modesty. So on the one hand I wish more women would cover up, but, on the other hand I always leave there with a better appreciation of my own body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home