Thursday, February 16, 2006

Over-zealous salespeople

I don't know if anyone else feels this way - but, I like to browse when the mood strikes. Sometimes I'm browsing for nothing in particular and sometimes there is something I need and I choose to browse when I'm at the store where I can find this needed item. For example, I have a neighbourhood hardware store that I like to visit when I need something, as opposed to going to a huge superstore like Canadian Tire. I may need a hammer, or a shower head, or nails. The problem is, every time I go in there they are immediately on me "what can I help you find?". So I might say "I'm looking for a barbeque lighter". The gent takes me to where they are and gives me my 2 or 3 choices. He stands there until I make my choice. I do, then proceed to the counter to pay. I conclude my transaction then leave. If he had left me alone I would have browsed till I found what I was looking for and chances are picked up a couple of additional items along the way. If I couldn't find the barbeque lighter, I would have found him and asked. See how that works?

Women's clothing stores are the worst! When I enter a small boutique if there are 4 sales people working you can count on it that I'll hear "Hi, how are you today", 4 times. I almost want to walk in and announce right off the bat "Hello, I am fine ty everyone - now let me take a look around in peace". As it is, I walk into these places and make NO EYE CONTACT thinking they'll get the hint. They never do. Ok, one might be thinking "what's so wrong with a salesperson greeting you?". There is nothing wrong with that except for the fact that if I wander into 5 different stores and have 4 people at each store ask me that same question I have to answer 20 times! And let's face it - I'm not going to respond any other way then "fine ty". Perhaps I might say "Very well, ty". Or even "just peachy". I wonder what they'd say if I answered "Not too good. Feeling a little depressed as a matter of fact", then waited for their response.

The other day I was at an antique market. I approached a table, I did make eye contact with the gentleman standing there and gave a greeting which he returned. I then proceeded to check out the prints at his table. I even went so far as to pick one up and was admiring it. I made the mistake of picking a 2nd one up. I knew right away that was a mistake. After all, both pictures were of Paris. They were both lovely. Then he ruined it for me, he attempted to engage me in conversation about the prints. Couldn't he tell I was engrossed in these prints? He knew I knew he was there - I had just acknowledged him a minute ago. So, I smiled at him and "said they are lovely", put both back down and walked away.

Indigo has a few overzealous reps as well. This has only happened to me twice but it left me shaking my head. Here I am browsing through the shelves at a bookstore only to have a rep come up and say "Hello, can I help you find anything?". Indigo has computers placed through out the store in case I'm looking for a particular book or author. There are also numerous reps in case I require help. When he sees me reading the jacket of a book and flipping thru the pages, why would one assume I need help? The 2nd time I was asked I did say "yes, I'm looking for a book". The rep responded "any book in particular?". I said "no, I was just browsing". I saw the lightbulb go off over his head.

I've never worked retail so perhaps annoying customers is part of their training. If I did work retail I think I'd be able to read customers much better than these guys do. I would make my presence known in case they required help. Otherwise I'd leave them be.

I don't have high hopes that this will change anytime soon. I just need to find the perfect way to avoid them. Perhaps I'll go out and buy a large headset to plug into my IPOD and wear those while shopping.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger The Resident Curmudgeon said...

Thank you. YOu are right on. Often I browse through a store (like a hardware story) to spot things I might need in the future, and to cataloge them in my mind. Overzealous salespeople ruin my concentration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home