Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sign & Donate

I’m trying to find out who started this whole “sign this card and donate towards a gift” for someone in the workplace. The card/gift could be for an up coming wedding, a baby, a birthday, a retirement, a new home – yada yada yada. Who the hell started this insanity?

I work in a large office and it seems like this is a monthly affair now. I have never in my life purchased a card and got the ball rolling for something like this in the workplace. Am I close enough to the people to be invited to the wedding? Thankfully, no! I find it difficult enough feeling obligated to attend family functions (with the exception of immediate family).

If someone in the office is close to a particular peer and wishes to give them a gift – then just do it! Don’t get a community card and send it around for everyone to sign. I especially detest the cards for when someone is leaving the company. They’re obviously going to something better with more money – why should we be giving them a gift? If it’s the thought that counts shouldn’t my best wishes be enough? Putting your money where your mouth is doesn’t hold water for me in this case.

Whoever started this insanity needs to be………..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home