Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tempers Flare - motorist vs cyclist

Wow - just a couple of days ago I was visiting Kensington Market and had a lovely day. Today, I'm reading about this road rage incident in that very neighbourhood just a couple of days prior.

The story apparently goes like this. Motorist (will henceforth be referred to as "the idiot") opens car door and throws food on the ground - littering! The cyclist saw this. She proceeded to pick the food up, open the car door and throw the food back in the car. Ok, that is just too funny! I'm liking this cyclist! Next, the idiot got out of the car and threw coffee at the cyclist. The cyclist apparently keyed his car next - now that is up in the air on whether it was an accident or intentional. The idiot flies off the handle and the pictures tell the rest of the story. It is nice to see how many bystanders jumped in to separate them.

Now, this brings me to something I myself have noticed. The road rage that motorists are exhibiting anymore is getting out of control. I live downtown so 95% of the time I'm either walking or cycling. When I'm a pedestrian I've noticed motorists are much more lenient with me and my jaywalking ways. When I'm biking it's almost like a test of wills. They're honking their horns at me, or giving me the finger, even when I have the right away. The problem is some motorists believe cyclists should be on the sidewalks. They fail to understand that we're not ALLOWED on the sideswalks. We're to use the roads. There are a number of streets where we have our own bike lanes - but, a lot do not so we have to share.

Anyhow, the cyclist was out of line for throwing his garbage back in his car - but, the idiot takes the cake for behaving like a neanderthal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home